Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jacarandas!


I have lived at my current residence for almost two years. Blue and I moved in June of '07- during a burgeoning summer season.
So our first Spring here brought a big surprise outside the huge windows of our second story residence.
Floods of purple blossoms ignite the street aglow...right into our living room! It's the most beautiful thing. And it's right here.
Last Spring, my friend Norah and I would just sit on my couch and stare out into the purple tree-lined sky.
Here is some information about my favorite tree:

The Jacaranda is a genus of 49 species of flowering plants in the family Bignoniaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions of South and Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The genus name is also used as the common name.
Large Jacaranda in full bloom.

In many parts of the world, such as Mexico and Zimbabwe, the blooming of this tree is welcomed as a sign of spring.

1 comment:

EmmyD said...

BEAUTIFUL! they're just as you described them! i look forward to seeing that in the flesh...or in the bark, if you will.

in Philly, we have cherry blossom trees that bloom in the spring. the streets in the main line area (where i used to nanny...and you visited once) are lined with them...the area is colored pink for all of spring! it's amazing. i just wish i liked the people in that area. then it would be perfect.